Just the Tip of the Iceberg – It’s What’s Underneath That Matters

This iceberg is not designed to sink you like the Titanic, it is actually the iceberg that keeps your business sailing smoothly. It symbolises all the marketing activities that you undertake in your business.

Below the Surface – Brand Awareness

The portion of the iceberg that sits below the surface of the water symbolises all of the activities that you don’t see an immediate return on. They are not designed to produce quick sales, they are designed to grow and build the awareness of your brand.

Here are some examples of how you can build your brand awareness…

  • A regular value add Newsletter
  • Information blog articles or vlogs
  • Social media
  • Your website, or listings in online directories
  • Any PR or magazine advertising
  • Promotional work like networking
  • Printed items like business cards, brochures, flyers, or branded promotional goods

While these marketing aspects will not give you immediate results, they are vital to your overall brand strategy. They keep your business in front of your target client, and give you lots of opportunities to entice them. Without building your brand awareness, all other forms of marketing will be ineffective.

Above the Surface – Direct Response Marketing

Above the surface of the water are the direct response marketing activities that you undertake. These are the activities where you will see immediate results if done effectively.

Here are some examples of direct response marketing…

  • A bespoke article with a clear Call to Action.
  • Email send out with a Call to Action: Ask for a response from your people, by asking them to reply to a question, or request they get in touch for a consultation call
  • Online advertising like Facebook ads, or Google Adwords
  • Lead Magnet
  • Asking for referrals or introductions

To be effective, you need to make sure you select the right form of direct response advertising for your target audience. There is no point paying for Facebook ads, if your market is on Twitter.

The Combined Approach

In order for your business to be successful with marketing, then you need to use a combination of both approaches. Build your band awareness so that you have a database of people interested in your product (or services), then use direct response marketing to prompt them to buy from you.

Typically only 3% of the market are ready to buy from you right now. So that means when you run a Facebook Ad or Google Adwords campaign, only 3% of the people that see it will buy from you then and there. Brand building is what is driving the other 97% of people towards the commitment of buying from you.

You want to process that 97% through your sales funnel to give yourself the best chance of converting them into buyers. The key to driving them through that funnel is your email communication and regular newsletter.

The largest portion of an iceberg sits below the water, so keep building that below the line brand awareness. That is the foundation work for your future customers. You won’t see immediate results from it, but it will give you a fantastic customer base in the long run.

How is your database of clients looking? A bit light in numbers? Or maybe you have a database of clients, but you aren’t sure how to transition them into buyers. Get in touch with Lara at Newsletter Ready for a free 15-minute consultation that will help you increase your sales.

Please follow and like us:

Leave a comment